15 November 2008

Bertren in late May - Day one

Inspired by the fantastic Rapha book 'Great Road Climbs of the Pyrenees' and spurred on by some conversations with Nigel I decided to spend a couple of weeks in the Pyrenees riding the roads which I enjoyed so much in 2006. I would spend week one staying in cycling friendly accomodation in Bertren (80k east of Lourdes). Bertren gives ridable access to a whole host of cols I have never ridden before, Superbagneres, Col des Ares, Col de Mente, Col du Portillon, Port D'Aspet and one that struck fear into my legs Port de Bales. The second week would be spent in Lourdes at the residence Foch where I would meet up with Nigel (who would fly in to join me) and Mark - a friend of Nigel's. Both Mark and Nigel were along to recce the etape which would climb the Tourmalet and Hautacam. Sadly Nigel who was originally scheduled to join us had to pull out of the trip at the last moment due to some health issues. So it was going to just be Mark and I in Lourdes.

I loaded up the 'motor' on Friday evening and headed off to Ashford with a stop scheduled just north of Paris that evening. I recall getting stuck in traffic in Paris on our journey south in 2006 so was keen to 'clear' the city when traffic would be scarce. However this meant more than 300k to be covered once I was in France.

Traffic in the UK meant I missed my scheduled 'sailing' So an hour and a half later than planned I boarded the train. All went smoothly until the Parisian suburbs where running low on fuel I followed my trusty TomTom to a petrol station on route (one of dozens nearby). Unfortunately I took it for granted the the Parisian garages would be of the 24 hour variety. No problem they have pumps that accept payment by card. Wrong! When my cards were rejected at all of the half dozen garages and my fuel range was registering 0 kms things were looking grim.

Should I continue to search for a garage hoping to find one where my cards would work but running the risk of running out of fuel (driving a diesel I would therefore require mechanical assistance to get on my way again as woe betide running a diesel engine dry). Or should I hole up for the night at a garage which would open in the morning. After around 10 failed garages I made my mind up that the next garage on the list would be make or break. If my cards did not work I would spend the night on the forecourt.

Thankfully the gods were smiling on me and my card was accepted and I could continue the final 10k to my now long overdue bed. It was now gone 2am and not wanting to make the original crack of dawn departure I had scheduled on so little sleep the chances of making Bertren early enough to get a ride in were looking slim.

6 comments:

langles said...

looking forward to the trip report Kev

Hamster said...

Ok. So you got fuel and got the the start. How did it go? we all lok forward to the story how you simply flew up the climbs and that the Absurb climbing holiday with 10 BIG days of 200km and 3000m climbing will now looking quite doable. Hear from you soon Kev.

langles said...

What happened next Kev... suffering, washout, disaster, food poisoning, victory???

Hamster said...

Hey Kev, the BLOG has gone cold. What's the rest of the story??? Looking forward to it......waiting....

Smarty said...

Looks like Kev "clipped out" on this story.

Hamster said...

Waiting